Online learning at LHSD
We are pleased to be able to offer online learning options for our students. Please contact us for more information about virtually joining many of our live classes.
Students who are new to LHSD must download a registration form from the Registration & Fees page, and remit a completed copy to participate in classes. Please read Preparing for Online Classes below before participating. Login links are also below. Don’t forget to keep your Zoom app updated regularly for the best viewing experience.
Parents of younger children are welcome to participate in classes with their child. Online classes can be difficult for younger children to understand. Your help as a ‘teaching assistant’ would be greatly appreciated. Children in Ballet 1 and higher should have enough experience with dance class content and classroom behaviour to participate on their own. If your child needs some additional assistance, we will get in touch. Please try to provide your child with a distraction free environment to the best of your ability so they can participate fully.
Links for Online Classes
Login information is as follows:
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/75107659677?pwd=UG9ndGVMeXZ1d2M2bUU2OHUyR2poUT09
Meeting ID: 751 0765 9677
Preparing for online classes
To make everyone’s online learning experience easier and more effective, please read the following list before participating:
- To participate students must have remitted a signed LHSD registration form & waiver in for the current year. New students may download from the Registration & Fees page. Electronic signatures are acceptable.
- Note that the Leica Hardy School of Dance nor their instructors accept responsibility for injury or damage to property during online classes.
- Class offerings are subject to change, pending interest and participation.
- Please download the Zoom app and do a test drive with a friend before participating in any online classes. Please familiarize yourself with the controls for muting, views etc.
- At the start of all classes students will log into a ‘waiting room’ and then be given access by the instructor/host.
- Check your surroundings for slippery surfaces, adequate space to kick, and overhead clearance for arm movements.
- As much as possible, please try to provide your child with a distraction free environment so that they can participate
- During classes, instructors may mute or ask students to mute their audio to reduce background noise, and students raise their hands to ask permission to speak.
- Make sure you are well lit, but that you are not backlit with strong lighting or you will turn into a silhouette on the screen.
- Try to position your camera at your waist level and far enough away so that there is a ‘balanced’ view of your whole body from head to toe.
- Note that your internet quality will improve if there is only one streaming device in the household during class times and quality may also improve if all other devises are put on airplane mode.
- When taking online classes please wear close fitting garments in solid colours that are a good contrast to your background.
- Assemble the following fitness equipment for stretch & strength classes to the best of your ability: tennis or rubber ball, yoga mat or stacked beach towels for padding, exercise band, yoga blocks or books, stability ball in the correct size for your height.
Activities For Young Children
KiDance With Mackenzie is a broad range of fun dance, fitness and creative movement activities for pre-school aged children.
The Caterpillar to Butterfly Mime by instructor Yukiko Asada teaches young children about the stages of metamorphosis.
Activities For Families & All Levels
Family Workout With Kendra, Jaeda & Carl is a great family workout by jazz instructor, Kendra Armstrong. Special thanks to Jaeda and osteopath Carl York.
other dance activities
bedtime ballets with Becca
Instructor Rebecca Wolfe reads bedtime stories about ballets and dancers for pre-school and young elementary school-aged students. Click on the image below to listen to the story.
I dreamed I was a ballerina by Anna Pavlova,
published by The Metropolitan Museum of Art &
Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Lili Backstage by Rachel Isadora, published by G. P. Putnam’s Sons.
worksheets & Colouring Pages
Click on the images below to download any of these colouring books and worksheets.